Asians and Pacific Islanders with Disabilities of California (APIDC) gives a voice and a face to Asians and Pacific Islanders (APIs) with physical, mental, and developmental disabilities. We seek to help break down the service and cultural barriers faced by APIs with disabilities, to provide knowledge to APIs with disabilities and their families, and to create a community network for empowerment and independence.
Key to our mission is the development of the next generation of leaders—youth with disabilities.
2016 Statewide Disabilities Conference
The Conference has ended, with over 500 people attending! Go to the 2016 Disabilities Conference page for the Conference Brochure and breakout session presentations.
See this story on KABC Non-profit Helps Asians and Pacific Islanders with Disabilities that talks about some of the challenges faced by Asians and Pacific Islanders with disabilities.
Youth Leadership Institute
We are pleased to announce our 2016 Youth Leadership Institute will take place on June 12, 19, and 26 and are now accepting applications (deadline is May 13, 2016).
The Youth Leadership Institute is aimed at training people to become advocates for APIs with disabilities. We seek young adults from all walks of life and ethnicities who have a passion for empowering APIs with disabilities. The Youth Leadership Institute focuses on a combination of developing grassroots leadership skills and providing a safe space for mutual sharing and learning. Participants are selected from a broad variety of backgrounds who show a strong potential to become future leaders.
Please click here for more information and application information.
Items of Interest
- Asian Pacific Americans With Disabilities: Our Stories, Our Lives – an informal survey conducted by the Disability Visibility Project
- 25th Anniversary of the Americans with Disabilities Act
- Webinar: Becoming the Healthiest Nation: Addressing the Social Determinants of AAPI Health
- Research Study – The Safety Project for People with Intellectual Disabilities
- Congress Passes the ABLE Act
- A Message about Special Assistance Programs from the Southern California Gas